What is NOT included in the price?
- Alcoholic/bottled beverages
- Insurance of any kind
- Items of personal nature
- Kichwa Immersion optional excursion 2 days – 1 night All Inclusive (Except Insurance)
- Direct and personal donation of USD 50 per person for Micro-credit Program Optional Tour
Will I be without communication to outside world?
No, not at all.
At the Lodge we have conventional and cellular phone connections.
In addition, all cabins have unlimited WiFi for guest use.
What about my luggage?
Passengers taking flights Quito – Coca – Quito are allowed to check in a maximum of 20 Kg per person plus one carry on and one hand luggage with reading material, camera, binoculars and personal documents.
Additional or excess baggage may be taken for additional by-the-pound charge and is paid directly to the airline.
Our suggested packing list?
- Flashlight [Yachana Lodge cannot find provide flashlights to individual guests]
- Lightweight pants
- Long sleeved, lightweight shirts
- Bathing suit
- Extra socks and underwear
- Sneakers or lightweight shoes
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent
- Sun screen
- Camera and extra batteries
- Prescription medicines, small first aid kit
What sort of gear does the lodge provide?
The lodge provides rain ponchos and rubber boots for most sizes (if you have really large feet, such as size US 14 or larger, you may want to bring your own boots).
Our guides carry binoculars and/or birding scopes for spotting – as appropriate and time permits guests may be able to site using lodge gear.
For more frequent viewing we suggest that you bring personal binoculars and scopes.
Can Yachana Lodge accommodate special diets?
We are proud of our chefs and their ability to produce mouth-watering food for every meal.
We’re also proud of their ability to meet special needs.
Our kitchen staff at no extra cost can easily accommodate special diets, such as vegetarian, low-carbohydrate and vegan.
If you have unique special dietary needs or food allergies, please let our staff know before your trip so that we can be ready for you!
Can private guides be arranged and what does it cost?
We pleased to be able to arrange for private guides for a more personal guided experience.
Please contact us for current pricing; typical prices [subject to change] are included below as a reference, per day (8 hours)
- Bilingual naturalist guide US$120
- Spanish speaking native guide US$100
- Bilingual birding guide US$130
- Naturalist German or French guide US$150
Are children allowed at the lodge?
At Yachana Lodge, we love kids, and kids love the jungle!
After all, can you image a better adventure for the young traveler looking for birds and insects or learning about butterflies in our giant backyard?
We are a family-friendly lodge so have cabins with specific design (interconnected) for up to 5 family members.
Kids also receive discounts off our regular prices.
Contact us directly to learn about discounts for the kids!
Are there private bathrooms in the cabins?
Yes, each one of our 14 cabins has private bathrooms, hot shower and biodegradable shampoo and soap.
How can we make a donation?
Please take a look at the Yachana Foundation.
How can I reach Yachana Lodge?
There are three was to get from Quito to Yachana Lodge: by air with a complimentary transfer to the lodge from the airport, by public bus or private car:
- There are 2 airlines servicing Coca Airport to/from Quito. Yachana can arrange flights in advance of your arrival and the total cost will be included as part of your invoice as an extra charge. You may also buy your own air transfer tickets but it is necessary to inform in advance lodge sales of the itineraries to arrange for ground transportation between the airport in Coca and the lodge.
- Public bus service from Quito to Coca costs approximately USD 12 per person. The trick takes about 7 hours and normally departs around 22h30 each day. At Coca you will have to wait for others passengers for transfer in and then the bus will continue on past the Yachana Lodge.
- Transit via private car is another possibility. The transit would originate at your hotel in Quito directly to Yachana Lodge parking lot. Typical cost is about 350 USD each way including English Guide along paved road for 99% of the route.
We have an advantage at Yachana in that the lodge is accessible both by road and river to and from the airport in Coca.
If choose to travel by surface road or the Napo River, your trip will take about the same length of time. By river the transit from Coca to Yachana is about 2 ½ hours (upstream) and 2 hours on the return trip (downstream). Round trip transfers From Coca are included in your package price. During in climate weather or for groups less than 4 people transfer will be via private vehicle arranged by the lodge.
How many months ahead do I need to make a reservation?
This is personal choice, but we recommend as soon as you can make firm plans start checking with us for availability.
Is there a doctor at the lodge?
We have a doctor and a medical center at a nearby Community.
In case of an emergency the doctor will go to the lodge or passenger will be taken out to the Community.
For more serious medical conditions, we can arrange immediate transfer to Quito.
What is the recommended tipping for staff at the lodge?
For your convenience following is a gratuity suggestion based on past experience at Yachana Lodge:
- Guide: US$10/night per guest.
- Staff Members: US$5/night per guest.
There is a tipping box located at the restaurant to facilitate payment collection.
Is there any vaccination requirement?
You do not need special vaccinations to travel to Yachana Lodge.
Tropical diseases such as malaria, cholera and yellow fever have not been reported at the lodge or in any of the nearby communities.
Nevertheless, you should consult your physician to get up-to-date information about your personal requirements.
Is there electricity at the lodge?
Yes, there is electricity 24/7 (110V/60 cycles) because we are connected to public service.
In addition we have our own generator to supplement service during times of public outages.
What credit cards are accepted?
At the moment, we cannot accept payment for extras and incidentals by credit card. Only cash.
There could be possible also to use PAYPAL with an increase of 6%.
Will my stuff get wet?
It will get wet if you don’t take a few simple precautions.
If you have things you want to keep dry, such as cameras, cell phones, medication and documents, you should take some simple precautions.
For example Ziploc bags are great for keeping things dry while out on hikes, and a waterproof backpack will protect camera gear from sudden showers.
Can you arrange other tour reservations for us while we are in Ecuador?
Of course we are happy to arrange any other tour reservations for you.
We can arrange anything from hotel reservation to fully guided tours or Galapagos Cruises.
Are there triple and single cabins availalbe?
Triple accommodations are available with no extra charge.
Single cabins have supplement.
If I cancel my trip will I pay penalties?
Yes. Your refund will be reduced by a 5% Governmental Tax and an Administrative Fee that depends on date of cancellation relative to your travel dates.
What is the weather like?
In the day it gets hot, at night it gets rather cool, since we are located at 356m above sea level.
It is humid, but not as intense as in other locations in the inner jungle.
It doesn’t rain as much as in the past, but you shall expect some rain during your stay, so make sure to take a raincoat with you.
What about drinking water?
We offer ozonized water as a source of safe drinking water to all of our guests, and all water in the cabins is ozonated and potable.